Thirsty work wine tour of Bordeaux with Yvonne Lorkin
Join wine expert, Yvonne Lorkin, on a fabulous tour of Bordeaux France, visiting vineyards, sampling local wine and cuisine and experiencing the history and culture of this region.
04 May - 13 May 2017. Joining at Bordeaux, twin share: $6490.00. All prices are per person
Do you fancy yourself a bit of a wine connoisseur? Perhaps you’re the occasional wine drinker? Or maybe your love is simply to travel and explore the history, culture and cuisine of a region? Join NZ wine expert, Yvonne Lorkin, on a fabulous tour of Bordeaux, France, where you will visit vineyards, learn about various varieties of grapes and wines, sample local cuisine and experience the history and culture of this region. Bordeaux is the largest finest vineyard in France renowned the world over. This vineyard covers half of the largest county within France called the Gironde. It spreads out over 120 000 hectares and 500 communes representing 100 km from west to east, and 130 km from north to south. So how do we go about discovering 57 appellations of origins, choose from over 8000 chateaux, nearly 13000 wine producers while exploring a great diversity of vine‑clad landscapes? On foot, because the vineyards are to be discovered little by little. With your guide and Yvonne, you will encounter the Bordeaux vineyard and gascon hospitality and will also discover little known France with a stay in Arcachon to discover the “Basin” and sand dunes of France. No matter what your wine tastes may be, this tour has something for everyone!
about your leader/escort
Your tour through the wine regions of Bordeaux will be led by a fabulous French local guide who will give you insightful information during your travels, answer questions you may have and provide a safe and happy environment during your travels so that you can relax, taste and enjoy what this land has to offer. The guides are bilingual and there to guide you every step of the way through this stunning country.
Your Host: ‑ Yvonne Lorkin In her roles as the Co‑Founder & Chief Tasting Officer of new wine subscription service WineFriend, host and producer of wine TV show Thirsty Work, the drinks editor for Dish Magazine and the weekly syndicated wine columnist for ten regional NZME newspapers, Yvonne Lorkin’s life is a full‑time immersion in wine. She writes a weekly wine column in CANVAS, (the NZ Herald weekend magazine), hosts a wine segment on Radio New Zealand National and somehow still finds the time to be a senior Wine Competition judge. Yvonne is also the mother of two teenagers, and despite being on the wrong side of 40, she can still play Good King Wenceslas on the recorder and do a no‑handed cartwheel. Yvonne’s passion for travel and love of wine and desire to discover new and interesting places make her a great host heading to Bordeaux. She is looking forward to being on this adventure with you to immerse herself in this beautiful country and see what makes the wine of Bordeaux so special.
At a glance
- DAY 1 ARRIVE BORDEAUX
- Day 2 VINEYARDS OF FRONSAC
- DAY 3 VINEYARDS OF SAINT-EMILION
- DAY 4 VINEYARDS OF THE MEDOC
- DAY 5 VINEYARDS OF GRAVEs
- DAY 6 BORDEAUX - LA CITE DU VIN
- DAY 7 THE ESTUARY
- DAY 8 ARCACHON - HIKE OF THE 7 PORTS
- DAY 9 ARCACHON - PILAT SAND DUNE
- 9 nights in 4* specially selected hotel accommodation, twin share basis
- 9 breakfasts, 8 lunches, 3 gourmet dinners
- English speaking hiking guide
- Wine workshop in the Medoc
- introduction to wine tasting in Fronsac
- Visit and wine tasting in Saint‑Emilion
- Visit and wine tasting at Margaux Island Bottle of prestige wine from Margaux Island
- Oyster tasting in Arcachon
- Guided tour of Cite Mondiale du Vin in Bordeaux
- Boat cruise of the Garonne and Gironde Estuaries
- Transfers from Bordeaux airport if arriving Day 1 and departing Day 10
- Internal transport in comfortable vehicles
- 6 bottles of specially selected wines from WineFriend to enjoy when you arrive home
Terms and Conditions; subject to the full terms and conditions of World Expedition tours. Available with full trip details and on World expeditions website. Trip Duration 10 days Trip Code: TWT Grade introductory to moderate Activities Guided Walking. Summary 9 nights staying in 4* specially selected boutique hotels