Make your holiday as smooth and enjoyable as possible. Use this pre-departure guide to travel in confidence knowing you’re as organised and prepared as you can be.
Pre-Departure Guide Checklist
Use the following as a handy checklist or download the PDF and print it out.
WHAT TO PACK:
DON’T FORGET THE ESSENTIALS…
- Power Adaptor - Have you invested in a power adaptor specific for your destination?
- Medication – If you require prescription medication, ensure you pack it in your carry-on luggage. It’s a good idea to have a letter from your GP, stating the name of the medicine, how much you are taking, and that it is for your personal use.
- Prohibited items – Make sure you don’t pack any prohibited items in your holiday goodies. Check here: www.avsec.govt.nz/travellers/2/what-cant-i-take-on-the-plane/
- LAGs Bag – For international travel be sure to pack your carry-on liquids, aerosols & gel products in a clear zip-lock bag. Maximum size you can carry on is 100mls or risk them being kept at Customs.
SHARE YOUR TRAVEL DETAILS...
- Register with Safe Trav e-l - When travelling overseas register with www.safetravel.govt.nz/register-your-travel
- Share with friends and family Make a copy of your itinerary and share it with a friend or family member in case of emergency. It’s a good idea to give them a copy of your passport as well.
- Copy & file - Pack x 2 photocopies of your passport in case it’s lost or stolen. One in your luggage bag and one in your wallet or purse. This makes for an easier process when contacting the NZ Embassy in the event of a problem.
ARRIVE WITHOUT A HITCH:
ITEMS TO CONFIRM BEFORE YOU DEPART…
- Travel Insurance - Travel smart, travel safe. Travel insurance is essential and covers things like medical costs essential and covers things like medical costs, lost luggage...
- Passport in-check? Did you know that most countries require at least six months validity on your passport for entry.
- Do you need a Visa? Check out www.safetravel.govt.nz/passports-and-visas to check if your holiday destination requires a visa for entry.
- Any cash handy? Have you converted some cash into the local currency for your arrival? It’s always nice to have a little cash for food & beverage or the taxi when you arrive.
- Vaccinations? Check with your GP for recommended vaccinations for your destination. Some vaccinations can be an entry requirement for certain countries. Also find out about taking medication overseas - certain medicines aren’t allowed in some countries.
Download Pre-Departure Guide
Download a handy pre-departure checklist.
For more information on prohibited and restricted goods and duty free limits, visit the NZ Government website - www.customs.govt.nz